Thursday, January 23, 2014

All I Really Need to Know About Agile, I Learned In Kindergarten

I recently listened to Episode 32 of This Agile Life podcast. This episode had special guest Karen Favazza Spencer (@agilekinder) who talked about a kindergarten classroom as a metaphor for what a development team's space should feel like. This reminded me of one of my favorite essays by Robert Fulghum entitled, "All I Really Need to Know, I Learned In Kindergarten."  So here is my version of this classic poem adapted for an Agile audience:

All I Really Need to Know About Agile, I Learned In Kindergarten



Most of what I really need
To know about agile development
And what to work on and how to code
I learned in kindergarten.
Agile wisdom was not at the top
Of the Scrum mountain,
But there in the sandpile at Sunday school.

These are the things I learned:

Share everything.
Ask questions.
Don't yell at people.
Gather in a circle to talk.
Clean up after every task.
Don't be afraid to say what you think.
When doing anything important, always have a buddy.
Wash your hands after you use the restroom.
Flush.
Really tough problems are good for you.
Live a balanced life -
Learn some and think some
And draw and color and talk
And play and work everyday some.
Don’t tell a story that’s too long,
your friends will lose interest.
When you go out into the world,
Be proud of what you’ve done,
And thank the people that helped you.
Today will be better than yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment